Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tide Pools

It was reported in the news that the Oregon coast was going to experience record-breaking low tides which would expose hidden sea life, and I decided it was an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I’ve been working some graveyard shifts at work recently, but I was convinced that it wouldn’t deter me. I got off work at 7:00am and bolted down the freeway toward the ocean. It was a cloudy day, but warm. One of the best viewing spots near Portland is near Cannon Beach by a landmark called Haystack Rock. The tide polls were plentiful, and many people were out to explore them. Park rangers were wandering amongst everyone, giving out warnings not to hurt the sea creatures, but also helping to identify different species and tell us lots of fun facts.

I’d never seen tide pools before, and I loved seeing such bright strange critters up close in their natural environment. As I walked around I heard sucking and squishing sounds coming from everywhere. Rocks along the shore that are never usually exposed revealed little caves. It was like some kind of strange alien world.

Because I’ve never lived near the ocean till now, I felt like this was an experience and education I needed to gain to feel more like a true Oregonian. I contentedly drove home with sand between my toes to get some sleep before work that night.


Haystack Rock


Tide Pool

Purple Sea Star


Green Sea Anemone and Iridescent Seaweed


Hiding Crab Amidst Mussels and Barnacles


Withdrawn Sea Anemone


Orange Sea Squirts


Exposed Rocks

2 comments:

Phil said...

I've heard a lot about tide pools but never seen any. Your pics and descriptions bring it to life.

noahsmom2003 said...

how amazing! Miriam, I love your adventurous spirit and I love even more that you share it with the rest of us! Keep up the fabulous posts!! :)